The Simple Life
* Opposite of trust is control
* The only way to live is to have a deep trust in God
* Matthew 6:23-26
“Your eyes are windows into your body. If you open your eyes wide in wonder and belief,
your body fills up with light. If you live squinty-eyed in greed and distrust, your body is a dank cellar.
If you pull the blinds on your windows, what a dark life you will have!
You can’t worship two gods at once. Loving one god, you’ll end up hating the other.
Adoration of one feeds contempt for the other. You can’t worship God and Money both.
If you decide for God, living a life of God-worship,
it follows that you don’t fuss about what’s on the table at mealtimes
or whether the clothes in your closet are in fashion.
There is far more to your life than the food you put in your stomach,
more to your outer appearance than the clothes you hang on your body.
Look at the birds, free and unfettered, not tied down to a job description,
careless in the care of God. And you count far more to him than birds.”
* Whatever you have comes from God
* We don’t deserve anything. But because God loves us so much, he gives us everything.
* Matthew 5:3
“Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.”
* Pray for the grace of trust
* 3 Ways On How To Live Simpler (From Ignatius of Loyola)
1. Let go of what you don’t need
2. Let go of what you want but you don’t need
3. Let go of what you need, but can live without
* Trust is a matter of knowing who God is
* Never doubt His power
* Know Jesus, experience Jesus
* The more you trust, the more you become happy.
* I need all of these things, but all I need is You Lord.
” For what shall it profit a man,
if he shall gain the whole world, and lose his own soul?”
* 2 Missions
1. To bring your soul to heaven.
2. To bring other souls to heaven.
* If you are praying for prosperity, be ready for it to come.
* Spiritual Preparedness
4 Prescriptions on how to get spiritually prepared
– Simplify your rules of happiness
– See to it that your rules of happiness are simple enough
so that it happens frequently
– When you compllicate your rules of happiness,
it will be a comodity
– Don’t get rid of the old joys
– Be happy with the little things
– Delight in the ordinary
– Sirach 31:29-31
“but if you drink when you are angry and upset,
it leads to headaches, embarrassment, and disgrace.
A drunken fool can lose his temper and hurt himself.
His drinking makes him weak and an easy target for angry blows.
Never rebuke a person when you have both been drinking.
Don’t hurt his feelings while he is having a good time.
It’s not the time to criticize anyone,
or to ask him to pay back a debt.”
– You are not an owner, you are a borrower
– Leviticus 25:23
“The land must not be sold permanently,
because the land is mine
and you reside in my land
as foreigners and strangers.”
– But you would say “I work hard for this with my own sweat.”
Who gave you the ability to sweat and work?
– God gave you all.
– Prayer: God, what do you want me to do with your wealth?
– Don’t let money posess you.
– James 4:14
“Why, you do not even know what will happen tomorrow.
What is your life? You are a mist
that appears for a little while and then vanishes.”
– Exchange earthly currency to eternal currency.
– Let go of the currency that have less value.
– Earthly currency is losing its value.
You cannot bring it to heaven
– Love -> is the eternal currency
* God doesn’t like to complicate things
* When you disobey God’s will, life gets complicated.
* Follow His voice
* Extreme busyness is an addiction
– It destroys you
* Stress destroys our health
* Stress destroys relationship
* Jesus gives solution to worn out
Then, because so many people were coming and going
that they did not even have a chance to eat, he said to them,
“Come with me by yourselves to a quiet place and get some rest.”
1. “Come with me”
– Jesus is about relationship
– Our 1st relationship – Relationship with God
– Where you are going is not as important as who you are going with
– Jesus is saying, let us journey together
– The only rest comes from resting in God
– God’s love will give you rest
2. “By yourselves”
– Real rest comes from right relationship
– Where would you stay?
a. In a 5-star hotel with someone you don’t like
b. In a nipa hut withh someone you like
– You are your most important comanion
– Do you like yourself?
– Do you appreciate yourself?
– Do you celebrate yourself?
– Fix your relationship with you
– Love yourself the way God loves you
3. “To a quiet place”
– Is your heart noisy?
– There is a crowd in our hearts
– Voice of fear
* Worry is fear
* Anger is fear
* Greed is fear
* Selfishness is fear of not being enough
– There is only 1 antidote of fear
1 John 4:18
“There is no fear in love. But perfect love drives out fear,
because fear has to do with punishment.
The one who fears is not made perfect in love.”
– Why are you always tired?
– Your body slept, but your heart and mind did not rest.
– Tired because you are afraid
– Silence all voices – Follow only one voice – voice of God
– The only cure to stress
— Follow God’s voice
— Recieve the love of God
— Drive out the fear from your heart
* You will always have something to carry
– In any point in our lives
– We will always have a yoke
– Make your yoke light
– Find peace, joy, happiness in the midst of your busyness
– Peace if you have Jesus
– Amidst trouble, if Jesus is in you, you have peace
* Come to Jesus and you will have rest
* Identify your core.
* Simple life is not a set of action.
It is your inner attitude.
3 Attitude that you should develop
* Pride and legalism goes together
* If you want to complicate your life, start complaining
If you want to simplify your life, start thanking
* Phil 4:11 “Not that I complain of want;
for I have learned, in whatever state I am, to be content.
* But we should never be content by the amount that we can give.
– Earn as much as you can so that you can give as much as you can.
* Adults have security blanket
– mostly, their security blanket is money.
* Security blanket is your core.
* Find a solid security blanket
* What is your security blanket? Is it a person?
* Security blanket – only one thing
–> God is fond of you.
– God is the source of all material wealth. He is the source
of my life. He is the reason why I live. He is the reason
why I breathe. He is my provider. He is my life.
Sometimes in my journey in this life, I tend to lean to
something or someone. I also lean to money. I feel insecure
whenever my finances are threatened by different factors.
I feel miserable when that something or someone goes away.
I believe that whenever God takes
away something or someone in my life, He sees that I am
beginning to make that something or someone the source
of my life. When in fact, only God is my source of life.
He is the one who gives me all of the things and the persons
that I need. Yes, there is pain whenever God takes away
things or people from my life. Yet I believe that it
is a great blessing for me. For me to be able to once
again fix my eyes on Him and Him alone. Because He
alone is my God. He is my joy. He is my peace. He is
the source of love. He is my everything.
Being rich is not wrong. Or having someone or something
that makes you happy is not wrong. It is the disposition
of the heart is what matters. If you know that everything
comes from God — your wealth, good relationships —
and your eyes is still fixed on Him,
then you will always have a grateful heart. You will always
be contented and secured, because you know that God is your provider.
Because you know that our God is a loving God.
My God, I pray that You grant me the heart that trusts in You completely.
Change me my Lord. I cannot change myself. I need you my God.
Fix my eyes on You and You alone my Lord.
I believe that whenever I am weak, I am strong, because of Your grace. Amen.